Tuesday, December 25, 2018

4.9.4 Poker


Poker

            However, I'm sure I ended up with some black market money won in poker games.  The best poker players in the outfit had our own elite game, but first we plucked the pigeons.  I was not the best poker player in the 31st Station Hospital --John Day was the acknowledged possessor of that crown -- but I could hold my own with him and the rest of the hawks.  I had been playing "Table Stakes", which is no limit except you can't bet more than you have on the table, in family poker games since before I was a teenager.  Learning from my brother, brothers-in-law and sisters, especially Ruby, in marathon weekend games, I had found the quality of poker unsophisticated at Texas A&M.
              
           On payday,there were dozens of games, but never more than a couple of the hawks in any of them.  The new replacements, none of them old enough to vote or legally buy liquor, eagerly invited the "Old Timers" to their games and we graciously accepted.  They were universally ignorant of odds and routinely did the most stupid things imaginable in poker games. 

            I once bet a kid who had been assigned to our house $100 that I could cut the cards three times in a row, with him shuffling and holding the deck, without turning up anything smaller than a nine. (I was trying to counsel him on not gambling with the veterans).  He said "That's a bet I"ll take" and plunked down his 300 Yon.  I won, of course; I wonder how he felt when he was introduced to the game of Pinochele ; he didn't even check the deck to see if there were any cards in it lower than a nine.

            Within a week or less, all the gambling money was where it belonged, in the real game.  It was the best poker game I ever played in: dollar ante and table stakes.  The mores were interesting.  We started every game with several decks of cards still encased in their plastic wrappers; stacking the deck was perfectly acceptable if the player to the left of the dealer was dumb enough to cut to the crease, but marking certain high cards by "finger-nailing" was cheating.  Several times a night the dealer would raise and everyone would suddenly realize he had got a cut to the crease while telling a good story and throw in their hands.  More rarely, John Day would stop the game, spread the deck back up and identify every face card: jacks, queens, kings and aces.  That deck was torn up and discarded.

            I saw no evidence of collusion, such as one person stacking the deck, another making the right cut so that one of them or another partner would win.  We had been together too long for
that, but if we had ever caught the "finger-nailer" we would probably have pulled his fingernails out with a pair of pliers.   John Day always contended he didn't need to stack the deck to win; he could memorize the order of cards while they were being shuffled and remember where key cards were after the cut.  I'm sure he was right; I saw him call for a specific card on many occasions in stud poker and either get it or miss by one or two.

            But one time I watched him pick up the cards when it was his deal (for the innocent, that's when you stack the deck) and said to myself, "if John gets three fours on the deal, he's not above mechanics if the opportunity presents itself.  Sure enough, he raised the opener and drew one card.  I drew to a high pair, caught a second pair on the draw and folded.  The opener, who had also drawn one card, checked to the one card draw; John Day bet a bundle and on the call laid down his hand.  The opener had two pair, but guess what, John had three fours; I had him but I never told ANYONE, especially John.  That was knowledge too valuable to share with anyone.      

No comments:

Post a Comment