Tuesday, December 25, 2018

4.4.2 Rodent Wars


Rodent Wars
 A day or so later, I was summoned to Headquarters to be interviewed by a Navy Lt., Junior Grade.  After hearing about my 2 1/2 years of Wildlife Management in college, he asked two questions: could I trap small mammals and could I do taxidermy?  I quickly told him that I had run a trap line along Holiday Creek for years and was a Graduate (correspondence course) of the famous Northwest School of Taxidermy. He informed me that he was in charge of Rodent Control at a Navy Malaria and Epidemic Control Unit in Noumea and was looking for someone who could make a collection of South Pacific rodents and he had just found his man.  (How that EM in Major Parks 'office found that job in the Navy, I don't know, but I hope he got a promotion out of it).  Just before leaving, the Navy Lt. said, "By the way, Sparks, you'll have to drive yourself to do this rodent collection; you can drive, can't you?".  I thought, "Oh shit, I'm going to be killed because my family never owned a car".  I replied, "Lt., have you ever met a 20 year old American boy who couldn't drive a car?" Fortunately, he took the bait, "Sorry, Sparks, that was a stupid question".

A couple of days later I was notified at morning formation that I was being assigned to the 27th Station Hospital in Noumea, detached to the Island Surgeon General's Office and on special duty to the Naval Malaria and Epidemic Control Unit.  I happily crammed all my possessions into my two duffel bags and climbed, along with several other hilarious escapees of jungle rot and combat fatigue in  islands we hadn't even heard of, into the back of a 6by6 (a six wheeled truck with, when needed, six wheel drive-the mule of World War II) for a ride into Noumea, the Paris of the Pacific.

I reported in at the Headquarters of the 27th Station Hospital and was officially made a member of it and spent the night in a transient EM's tent, the only night I spent in my parent organization in the entire time I was assigned to it.  The next morning I was taken to the Surgeon General's Office for further processing, and then Corporal Ralph Abel drove me the few blocks to the Quarters, still in tents, of the Island Headquarters enlisted men. I stuffed my duffel bags under the cot assigned to me and rode with Ralph Abel to the Navy Malaria and Epidemic Control Unit, where he introduced me to all the officers and enlisted men.  There weren't many of either and Abel and I were the only Army personnel. 

Ralph was in Rodent Control because he had grown up in a family owned pest control business in Dallas, Texas.  He was assigned to the Surgeon General's Office and detailed to the Rodent Control task with the Navy Malaria and Epidemic Control Unit.  We didn't do much that day and I rode back to Headquarters Company with Ralph where we had dinner and I was glad to go to bed, feeling for the first time in months that I belonged.

The next morning reality reared its ugly head.  I was given my traps and a "trip ticket" (authorization to drive a specific vehicle) and told to go trap rats.  I had figured I would be assigned a jeep, small enough I assumed to be easy to drive. When I went outside to begin my duties, I discovered I had been given a Command Car, a huge vehicle.  I sauntered out to it and climbed aboard; it seemed to me that everyone in the Unit was standing on the sidewalk to see if I could drive.  My life was saved by the military's requirement that the gear shift sequence be permanently attached to the dash.  I got it into low with the clutch in, started it, and carefully let the clutch out. I turned right at the first corner, pulled over to the curb and practiced shifting.  When I attained sufficient confidence I headed to the hills to practice steering.  I didn't trap any rats that day, but I got back to the Unit with a lot more confidence in my driving ability.

A major part of my job was to help Ralph in rodent control. The exciting part was blowing cyanide gas down rat holes and shooting the rats with .22 Cal. shot shells when they came boiling out of their lairs, usually around docks or major food depots.  Mostly, we went to mess halls that had requested help with their rat problems.  For them, we mixed Red Squill with canned salmon or tuna.  Red Squill is a ground up root product that causes any mammal eating it to regurgitate; I've thrown up just mixing it. Its effectiveness against rats lies in the fact that rats can't throw up--they choke to death.  We were celebrated for the way we could solve the rat problems at mess halls all over the area.  Mess Sergeants almost always invited Ralph in for coffee and (special) cake before we began our rodent control.  We would then stroll through the area, randomly dispensing Red Squill-laden canned fish with a big spoon from our mixture.  Rats loved it and so did the cats; we were usually followed by at least one mess hall cat, begging for some of that fish.  Not especially caring for cats, I occasionally slipped one a little and watched it turn wrong side out after eating it.

Ralph knew better than any of the officers how much we could do in a day's work.  I soon learned that he and a couple of friends had something really great in mind. Relatively early when I worked with him, we went to a house near the Headquarters Company Quarters to work on building an apartment in the unfinished bottom floor.  It, like many of the larger houses in Noumea, had the living quarters on the second floor, the ground floor was bare ground except for a small servants quarters.  There was a frame around the sides and back, but the front was open to provide ventilation for the living quarters. 

The arrangement was for the American soldiers to provide all the material and labor and build a lower floor, in return for which they were to live in it as long as they were in Noumea for a modest rent.  It was to be left intact when they left and the property of the owners.  Able had been in New Caledonia for several years, originally as a member of the 112th Cavalry, a National Guard unit from Dallas, Texas, and had lots of contacts in the Noumea area.  However, the other two members of the triumvirate were the REAL entrepreneurs. 

Tech Sgt George Sheldon was the ranking enlisted man in the Island Command Veterinary Office and (then) Corporal Bronko Wolitik was his assistant.  They didn't do anything with dogs or cats or even horses, after the 112th Cavalry got rid of their horses and went north into combat with the Americal Division, but they DID inspect all food brought into New Caledonia for the US Armed Forces.  That may not sound like much, but they probably had more power than Admiral Halsey.  One word from them and a shipload of beef could be condemned.  They were constantly given "gifts" (NOT bribes) from Merchant Marine captains, Officer's Club managers and various others with interest in food from all sides of the delivery-procurement spectrum.

Once we began working on their new "Quarters", Army, Navy and civilian trucks began dropping off brand new lumber (2X4's, tongue and groove flooring, etc), paint, electrical wiring and light fixtures.  They probably could have had the Sea Bees build the whole thing for them; we did get quite a bit from those master scroungers, including some help with the wiring.  I was glad to help with the job; they seemed appreciative and I'd rather do that than kill rats, besides it was screwing the Army.
                       
            When we finished the place, they asked me to move in with them.  That's one of the few times in my life that I was totally overwhelmed; I had no idea when I was working on it that there was any chance they'd take a kid, buck private and overseas less than a month, into their, by enlisted men's standards, palace. Of course the whole thing was not only illegal, but Court's Martialable for numerous reasons.  To begin with we technically were AWOL (Absent Without Leave) every night we didn't sleep in our assigned quarters without a pass, which was every night. Even if that were overlooked (and a lot of American GI's were living with French women with the Army trying not to find out), but  explaining where all the supplies to build the place came from might have been difficult.  It wouldn't have been for me; I didn't have the foggiest notion how any of it was procured, what's more I didn't give a damn. 

We built our own beds with 2X6 frames and strips from inner tubes closely and tightly interwoven for springs.  Mattresses, sheets, pillows and pillow cases in quantity appeared.  Each occupant had a huge wooden storage locker for underwear and socks under the bed and a hanging space for shirts, pants and field jackets.  I didn't need much of any of that space with my GI issue of two of everything: khaki shirts and pants, shorts, undershirts, combat boots, pairs of socks,  fatigues; except field jacket, overseas cap, helmet liner, steel helmet and gas mask, of which there was only one of each. 

That was soon rectified; shortly after we moved in, George Sheldon gave me eight suits of khaki's, immaculately washed and ironed, with the removed Tech Sgt stripes leaving a lighter area on each arm and tapered so they fit like they had been tailor made.  In an offhand manner he said something like, "if you're going to live here, you can't dress like that".  Because we had to maintain the pretense of a presence at our official presence, I moved all my GI issued clothes and equipment in my barracks bag to my assigned bunk at Island Headquarters enlisted men's quarters. I made up my bunk, put a pair of shined combat boots under the bunk, stowed the barracks bag at the foot of the bunk and left, never to return.

The three who took me in and under their collective wing, were fabulous, even in the retrospect of 45 years.  George Sheldon grew up in Sheldon, Iowa, named for his grandfather who established the town.  He went to Iowa State on a football scholarship and on his first play of varsity football, he caught a pass for a touchdown against Notre Dame.  He told me once that was his thrill of a lifetime, from then on everything in football was downhill.  George was quietly impressive; he was big, well built and handsome.  He didn't have much to say, but everybody listened when he said something.

Bronko Woolotic was a Yugoslavian from the steel mills of Gary, Indiana.  In civilian life, he was a trainer of race horses.  He was mostly an ebullient person.  He loved to play cribbage, taught me the game, and told me of his hopes to have a successful race horse stable after the war; I've looked for his name for years, but he's never won the Kentucky Derby unless he has changed his name. 

Corporal Ralph Abel was a tall, slender, charming Texan; he knew everyone, especially the females, in Noumea.  He also knew all the good places to eat; shortly after I moved in he took me to a family home restaurant.  After talking to them in French, he informed me that they had eggs.  I said, "I'll have six fried and then six scrambled".  I hadn't had a fresh egg in about six weeks; I ate the whole dozen, along with appropriate accompanying items, to the astonishment of a hidden audience of tittering French adolescents.  I spent most of my time, when I wasn't doing my rodent collection, with Ralph.  He spoke better than passable French, all learned in New Caledonia, and immediately began teaching me key phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment