Tuesday, December 25, 2018

4.4.5 Transfer to the 31st Station Hospital


Transfer to 31st Station Hospital


Unfortunately for me, that idyllic existence ended in early 1945.  The war was finally going well in the Pacific Theatre of Operations and the US Armed Forces were closing in on Japan.  The 27th Station Hospital was "Alerted" to ship out and cleared up their rather foggy personnel problems.  They had been a convenient cover for medical officers and enlisted men needed in other places for years, but once they were alerted they had to get back to their authorized strength.  Only positions (people) in their Table of Organization could go into combat with them. I don't know how bloated they were, but when they got down to transferring buck privates, I suspect some officers lost THEIR cushy spots. 

            The first I heard of any of it, was receipt of orders to report to the 31st Station Hospital, to which I had been transferred, near Tontouta, New Caledonia about halfway between Bourail and Noumea.  The enormity of it hit me immediately: no more Christmas Eve Midnight Masses and Christmas Dinners with the Renivier Family; no more picnics, no more deer hunting, no more doing our own cooking of whatever we wanted; I was back in the Army for the first time since I left the Replacement Depot and would have to wear a uniform, salute officers and eat G.I. food in a mess hall.  It was not a happy time. 

One of my associates drove me, with all my clothes inherited from George Sheldon in the back of the pickup, to the 31st Station Hospital in Tontuta.  I had long before thrown away gas mask, cartridge belt, helmet liner, steel helmet and all other accouterments of the combat soldier; so, when I reported, I expected a lot of ass-chewing and possibly a "Statement of Charges" to pay for all the Army equipment I had discarded.  In the words of Rhett Butler in Gone With The Wind, "I didn't give a damn"; the Army had already done the worst they could do to me.
     
Much to my surprise, the Hospital Sgt. Major to whom I reported said "Welcome aboard, Sparks; E. J. Nicholson heard you were coming and asked that you be assigned to his tent." Nicholson and I had been through Basic Training together and had also shared Ft. Ord, Camp Stoneman, the troopship and the Repple Depple.  He was a Cajun from just south of New Orleans, had gone to LSU on a football scholarship, and was one of the most genuinely nice people I ever met.  Before I could recover from the shock, Nicholson appeared and helped me load my clothes into the back of a weapons carrier (a pickup like truck) driven by the
Detachment 1st Sgt, Don Finerty, and I was soon deposited, along with all my gear, in front of my new home.

It was the standard pyramidal tent over a wooden floor, sides up to about four feet and 2X4's running from each corner to peak at the top around a central center pole running vertically from floor to ceiling.  I soon met my tent mates: in addition to Nick, they were Wayne Jackson, Robert Hall, and Charles Montgomery. Hall was from Pierre, South Dakota, Montgomery from Walla Walla, Washington and Jackson from somewhere in the Midwest, probably Indiana.  Because we were all in our early twenties and inexperienced in the ways of the world, someone painted a sign THE CHERUBS and nailed it above the entrance to our tent. 

All personnel newly assigned to the 31st Station Hospital went on what the enlisted men called Shit Detail until they were assigned to a permanent position.  We picked up the garbage from the Hospital, Officer's Quarters, and Enlisted Men's Area; dug ditches, pits for new latrines; unloaded supplies and whatever grunt work had been requested.  Although I had made it known that I would like to be assigned to the Laboratory; Nick, Montgomery and Jackson worked there and I thought I might learn something useful in case I ever returned to College. 

Instead, they made me a Telephone Operator.   It was a Racket.  We worked rotating shifts: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM; 4:00 PM to Midnight the next day; then Midnight to 8:00 AM the next; followed by a day off, which was really three days off at the end of the cycle.  If, for example, you finished your "Graveyard Shift" at 8:00 AM on Friday, your next tour of duty began at 8:00 AM on Monday. This was because all enlisted men, outside of combat, got one day a week off; we got the extra day because of the hardship of working nights.  That was, indeed, a hardship; there was a cot beside the switchboard and calls between 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM were rare.  You simply set the buzzer and went to sleep at midnight; if anyone wanted to call out or there was an incoming call, the buzzer waked you.  You usually got an undisturbed night's sleep and waked refreshed for a three day holiday.  We had four people for the three shifts to allow for the "day off"; the other operators had made a strong pitch for a fourth member because they had been overworked since one of their crew had been sent back to the States for medical reasons.

Instead of fitting into the pattern, I spent a lot of my “off time” in the Laboratory becoming acquainted with the enlisted men other than my tent mates and even the two officers.  I was fascinated to learn that they did all the diagnostic tests for the hospital; the Doctors often did not know what was wrong with a patient until they received the Lab Reports.  It didn't take long for me to worm my way into an assignment to the Lab.  The Head of the Laboratory, Major Evrel A. Larson, was impressed by my obvious interest and, as a former professor
at the University of Minnesota Medical School, could probably relate to an enthusiastic kid wanting to learn about the medical way of doing business.  Although the Lab was fully staffed (all their authorized positions were filled), Major Larson managed to get me assigned to the Laboratory because they had just been given responsibility for doing a stool survey of the entire 81st Infantry Division. 

The 81st had been evacuated after capturing a small, not heavily defended island, because of what was believed to be an epidemic of Amoebic Dysentery during and immediately following the battle. They were brought to New Caledonia for rest, reinforcement, and training in addition to being checked for  Endameba histolytica, the causative agent for amoebic dysentery.  We thought most of that was a joke; they reportedly lost only eight men in the invasion because the island had been largely abandoned prior to their arrival.  I doubt the Japanese were clever enough to seed the island with E.histolytica cysts, but it did demonstrate how effective biological warfare could be.  An entire Infantry Division knocked out of combat (and we were short of Infantry Divisions at the time) by a microscopic protozoan that is only transmitted by fecal contamination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment